Both Lorenzo and G have mysteriously disappeared to celebrate the holidays and ring in the New Year. In their absence, I decided to research and post cultural, historical and statistical sexual trivia for your reading pleasure. Best wishes for 2015. Stay tuned for the return of the dynamic duo!
50 Cultural, Linguistic, and Statistical Facts from Random Facts
1. Scientists are unsure why humans have pubic hair, but they theorize that the hair traps secretions that hold pheromones, or sexual scents.
2. In women, the labia minora (singular: labium minus) vary more than any other part of the female genitalia. The labia minora (Latin for “smaller lips”) can range from pink, burgundy, brown, or a mixture of colors. They may be small, or large enough to extend beyond the labia majora (Latin for “larger lips”), and one may be longer than the other. Contrary to myth, they are not lengthened or wrinkled by masturbation.
3. The word “clitoris” is Greek for “divine and goddess like.” The clitoris is present only in female mammals. It is actually approximately 4 inches long, with 3/4 of the clitoris extending inside a female’s body.
4. The opening of the vagina is called the introitus, from the Latin intro or “into, within” + ire, meaning “to go into.”
5. Aphrodite, the goddess of sexual intercourse, emerged from the foaming semen of her father’s castrated testicles.
6. The word “vagina” means “sheath” or “scabbard” in Latin, suggesting that love and war have been connected for thousands of years.
7. The word “penis” is Latin for “tail” and is probably also from the Old English faesl, meaning “progeny” or “offspring.”
8. The vagina is not “a hole,” contrary to popular belief. It is instead, a potential space that can range from 2 to 2.5 inches wide from around 3 to 6 inches long, with the average vagina measuring 4.5 inches.
9. Known as the “veil of the temple,” the hymen is related to the word “hymn” and is named after the Greek god of marriage.
10. Usually one testicle hangs lower than the other. For most men, the left testicle hangs lower—but in some men, most commonly left-handed men, the right one hangs lower.
11. Men do not need to be sexually aroused to have an erection. Erections can occur if a man is frightened, nervous, or has a full bladder. It’s normal for a man to have several erections during the dream phase of sleep.
12. During a woman’s period, the opening of the cervix (Latin for “neck” or “nape of neck”) and uterus stretch slightly to allow the shedding of the endometrium. During this time, harmful sexually transmitted bacteria have easier access to the uterus, increasing the risk of serious pelvic infections. HIV is also more easily transmitted during a woman’s period.
13. Married people are more likely to masturbate than people living alone, according to the National Health and Social Life Survey (NHSLS).
14. For men seeking penile enlargement surgery, the average gain in size is about 1 inch when flaccid and 1/2 inch when erect. More than 65% of men who opt for penile enlargement surgery are dissatisfied with the result.
15. The condom is said to be named after the Earl of Condom, a British physician at the court of Charles II who was asked by the king to design him something to keep him from developing syphilis. The oiled sheep intestine was a big hit.
16. Though nudity was accepted in ancient Greece, an exposed erection was frowned upon. Additionally, a small penis was considered ideal.
17. The average number of times a healthy male will ejaculate in a lifetime is 7,200. Of this number, approximately 2,000 times will result from masturbation.
18. Most men have the most powerful erections during REM sleep. Researchers believe nighttime erections may be to preserve the elastic penile tissues.d
19. In 2000, the Mississippi state legislature introduced a bill to make it illegal for a male customer to have an erection at a strip club even if he is fully dressed.
20. Leonardo da Vinci discovered that blood filled an erect penis—not air, as had been previously believed.
21. Folk medicine used a variety of herbal potions and mechanical devices to harden the penis, such as crushed rhinoceros horn and pulverized antelope, deer, and horse testicles, as well as parings of human nails. Sometimes even a piece of bone was eased into the urethra.
22. President Lyndon B. Johnson referred to his penis as “Jumbo.”
23. A 1999 golf tournament in Australia offered a penis enlargement to the player with the longest drive.
24. The fear of having, seeing, or thinking about an erection is called ithyphallophobia.
25. Approximately 80 cases have been reported in medical literature of men born with two penises. A diphallus can present as either one organ that separates into two or as two distinct organs. The penises can be side by side, on top of each other, or in separate locations. Most men with diphallus are sterile.
26. The word “testis” (testes, plural) shares the same root as “testify” and comes from the Latin, meaning “witness.” This is perhaps because of the ancient Roman practice of a man’s bearing witness or “testifying” by holding his testis as he spoke.
27. When men of Australia’s Walibri tribe greet each other, they shake penises instead of hands.
28. Of all the primates, man has the largest penis. The gorilla has a two-inch penis, while the chimpanzee’s is three inches. The blue whale has the largest penis in the animal kingdom: 11 feet.
29. In 2003, a Texas man woke up from bladder surgery to discover that doctors had removed his penis without his permission.
30. Thirty-four percent of all American men ages 40 to 70, or about 20 million men, suffer from some significant level of erectile dysfunction (ED).
31. In 2004, Norwegian sexologists published a “Penis Atlas” which featured 100 photographs of men’s penises to correct and clarify misunderstandings about the male sex organs.
32. The ancient Romans thought penile hardness was directly linked to what a person ate. The shape, color, and flavor of food determined its impact on one’s sex life. Therefore root vegetables such as carrots became instant symbols of strength of libido.
33. A rumor that Ozti’s (Ice Man’s) scrotal sac still had viable sperm—quick-frozen as in sperm banks—prompted a number of Austrian women in the 1990s to ask if they could be artificially inseminated and have his baby.
34. To maximize oral sex, it is worth paying attention to what food you eat. Foods such as kiwi, celery, and pineapple can make genital secretion sweet. Dairy products, meat, and alcohol are generally thought to worsen the taste.
35. Upper Paleolithic art dating back 30,000 years depicts people using dildos to pleasure themselves and others. That means mankind invented sex toys long before the wheel.
36. Slang for “prostitute” in Victorian times was “blowsy” and slang for “ejaculation” was “blow,” leading to the current phrase “blow job.” In ancient Greece, a blow job was called “playing the flute.”
37. The average man has 11 erections per day and 9 erections a night.
38. The smell of pumpkin pie, licorice, chocolate, and donuts increase the blood to a man’s genitals.
39. Women who went to college are more likely to enjoy receiving and giving oral sex.
40. A teaspoon of semen contains 5 calories. A sperm takes one hour to swim seven inches.
41. There are between 500 and 1,000 deaths per year due to auto-erotic asphyxiation.
42. Avocados are known as the “fruit of the testicle tree” and are believed to have aphrodisiac qualities.
43. Sexual appeal is not all about body shape, weight, height, or breast size. Sex appeal is all of a person, such as his or her attitude, confidence, and the way he or she smells, walks and talks.
44. Remote-control panties are one type of sex toy. The vibrator is built into the panty itself and stays outside the body, providing vibrations to the clitoris and outer vagina.
45. When a drone (a male honey bee) mates with a queen bee, its abdomen is ripped open during copulation and it dies soon after.
46. The word “pornography” is from the Greek pornographos—from porne = “prostitute,” which originally meant “bought” or “purchased,” and graphos= “to write.”
47. Formicophilia is the sexual interest of small insects or worms crawling over one’s body.
48. Contrary to popular opinion, the word “fuck” is not an acronym for the phrase “Fornication Under Command of the King.” It is a very old word that is hard to trace because the editors of the initial Oxford English Dictionary considered the word taboo in 1893. It may have a Scandinavian origin, similar to the Norwegian word fukka, meaning to “copulate,” or the Swedish foka, meaning “to copulate, strike, push,” or fock, meaning “penis.”
49. Sex hasn’t always been associated with sin and guilt. Pre-Christian religions often regarded sex as a celebration and as a form of worship. Sex was seen as mirroring the sensual power of the Gods.
50. Roxxy is the world’s first sex robot. It costs between $7,000-9,000. She comes with artificial intelligence and five personalities, and weighs approximately 120 pounds. Customers can customize her features, including breast size, the color of her hair, and her race. A male robot, named Rocky, is also in the works.
Berman, Laura. 2008. Real Sex for Real Women: Intimacy, Pleasure, and Sexual Well-Being. New York, NY: Dorling Kindersley Limited.
“Frequently Asked Questions to the Kinsey Institute.” The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction. July 15, 2010.
Hutcherson, Hilda, M.D. 2002. What Your Mother Never Told You about Sex. G.P. Putnam’s Sons.
Lamm, Steven, M.D. 2005. The Hardness Factor. HarperCollins.
Macleod, Dan and Debra. 2007. Lube Jobs: A Woman’s Guide to Great Sex. HarperCollins.
“Penis.” Online Etymology Dictionary.
“Roxxy Sex Robot: World’s First Sex Robot Can Do More Than Chat.” Huffington Post. March 18, 2010.
Taylor, Timothy. 1996. The Prehistory of Sex: Four Million Years of Human Sexual Culture. Bantam Books.
The next set of sexual information was published on the website getfrank.
1. Other than the genitals and the breasts, the inner nose is the only other body part that routinely swells during intercourse – this is because it is made from the same type of erectile tissue as the penis.
2. Humans aren’t the only species that partake in oral sex; cheetahs, hyenas, and goats all go down too.
3. In 1609, a doctor named Johannes Jacob Wecker reported finding a corpse in Bologna with two penises (a condition called diphallia). Since then, approximately 100 cases of similarly endowed men have been recorded.
4. The sperm of a mouse is longer than the sperm of an elephant.
5. Almost all mammals besides humans (like bears and dogs) actually have a bone in their penis.
6. Despite her three husbands and a parade of famous lovers (including John F. Kennedy, Frank Sinatra and Joe DiMaggio), it was a psychiatrist that finally helped Marilyn Monroe, the most celebrated sex icon of the 20th century, achieve her first orgasm shortly before her death.
7. There is a lot more to the clitoris than meets the eye. It is shaped like a wishbone and is about 3 to 4 1/2 inches long.
8. In 1899 the then President of France, Francois Faure, allegedly died while receiving oral stimulation. When his mademoiselle realized her monsieur was stiff for all the wrong reasons, she panicked, suffered trauma-induced lockjaw, and was rushed to hospital where she had to be pried from the penis of the passed-on President.
9. Male honeybees (Drones) only get to have sex once in their life… they die after mating because the penis and associated abdominal tissues are ripped from their body after intercourse.
10. Apparently when Captain Cook visited the Kingdom of Tonga in 1777, King Fatafehi Paulah had been busy fulfilling what he believed to be his ‘royal duty’ of taking the virginity of every woman in his kingdom. It is estimated that he deflowered 37,800 during his lifetime and never slept with the same woman twice.
11. Exhaustive research published by Johnson & Johnson found that the average time between penetration and male orgasm is 7.3 minutes – this involved 1,587 couples having stopwatch-timed sex.
12. The penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is decapitation.
13. The female bedbug has no sexual opening. To get around this dilemma, the male instead pierces females with his hypodermic genitalia and ejaculates into the body cavity.
14. Lipstick is rumored to have been invented in the Egyptian times for women who wanted their lips to look more inviting – apparently red lips resemble the vagina of a wanton woman anxious for sexual fulfilment…
15. The clitoris is the only organ in the human body that has just one purpose – pleasure.
And finally, take a moment to read my past post about the discovery of Scottish fish being the first to initiate internal sexual intercourse 385 million years ago!
I have always loved the verb “to whisper”, especially when spoken in French and Italian. The word in French is “chuchoter” (shoe-show- tay) and in Italian “susurrare” (sue-sue- rar-a). Both pronunciations truly are sexy whispers in themselves.
The modern use of the word whisperer, however, does not necessarily involve whispering. It first appeared as a general therapeutic method in the movie The Horse Whisperer, directed by and starring Robert Redford. He plays a talented trainer with a remarkable gift for understanding horses. He is hired to help both an injured teenager and her horse back to physical and mental health after a tragic accident. He communicates with them softly and slowly and the ending is a happy one. It was a heartwarming story and a big box office success. It placed the word whisperer on the global radar screen.
The connotation of a therapeutic healing whisperer continued with National Geographic Wild’s popular reality television series featuring trainer Cesar Millan’s work with troubled dogs. He was dubbed the Dog Whisperer and was highly praised for his efforts in helping man’s best friend. By the way, a woman’s best friend is usually a cat. The cat pet population for women has now exceeded the dog one for man!
Last month I heard the term the Vagina Whisperer for the first time and was highly intrigued. What is a Vagina Whisperer? Katie Couric interviewed Ellen Dolgen, a prominent woman’s health and wellness advocate. Her husband nicknamed her The Vagina Whisperer because of the therapeutic advice she gives to women from her blog and her website. She is the weekly host of Menopause Mondays where she combines interactive humor on a variety of sexual topics, hence her nickname. She created an entertaining video, “A Singing Uterus Explains Perimenopause and Menopause” to educate women about symptoms and solutions for dealing with menopause.
This humorous video reminded me a bit of Bette Midler belting out her ballad about Otto Titslinger and the invention of the brassiere in her movie Beaches. Visit my Mammary Memoir post to enjoy her performance!
The idea of a woman as a Vagina Whisperer seemed a bit strange to me. My personal take on this term was to imagine a sexy man whispering seductively to me. I would prefer to have a “mature” Sean Connery, my favorite James Bond, as my vagina whisperer.
The Urban Dictionary’s definition is 1) a person able to talk themselves into any girl’s pants and 2) a lesbian. The female host on the Candy Diaries website pulled no punches declaring “No matter if it’s a look, a touch or a kiss your vagina instantly responds. He’s a Vagina Whisperer. He’s one of those very few men that can talk your vag off a ledge!”
Lady Gaga has another take on the word. She proclaimed herself a vagina whisperer because she listens to the musings of her own vagina for her creative attire and musical inspiration. In an interview with Howard Stern she explained “Whatever my vagina whispers to me, I say: “Yes, inspiration! It doesn’t come all the time.”
In his fascinating chapter about the ancient Hindu practice of tantric sex, G describes the sensual ritual between the yoni (vagina) and the lingam (penis).
I also discovered term Penis Whisperer during my whisper research. Definitions range from a seductive female lover, a male homosexual or a men’s health educator. Read what Lorenzo and G have written about women in this provocative category “Can a Woman Learn to Be a Lover? What Does G Have to Say?”
I would like to thank Lorenzo for his kind invitation to periodically share my point of view on his provocative blog. I quickly agreed under the condition that I, like “G”, would remain anonymous. Not because I, like “G”, have had 300 lovers, but just to write more freely behind an invisible cloak.
I love the idea of being anonymous! As a little girl, I would try on the slippers of Cinderella or the tiara of a princess and happily disappear behind these imaginative disguises for hours before returning to reality.
Why did I choose the pen name of Endorfina? When I was in my early 20’s, I met an authentic Italian count at a cocktail party in an ancient Italian castle. He was tall, dark and dramatically draped in an impressive black cape. I was introduced by my real name, but he quickly replied, “No, I am going to call you Endorfina!” A bit confused I asked, “Perche?” With seductive charm he explained that I was a simpatica bella bionda which brought to his mind endorphins, the neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for decreasing pain and suffering as well increasing pleasure. He was a romantic scientist, and I was taken by the romantic compliment. He was also a strikingly handsome Italian!
And so, as Endorfina, I will write and wonder about what’s going on in the world of sex and love today. I am a happily divorced single mom who remains idealistic about romance. I am amazed by all of the mind-boggling options available for dating and sex today. I am learning a lot from Lorenzo’s blogs as well as his entertaining book about G’s sexual encounters. The Table of Contents alone is tantalizing! (See below)
I recently saw the movie “What’s Your Number?” I thought it referred to the telephone. Wrong! Girlfriends in their early twenties were sharing secrets about their number of sexual partners. One young woman was horrified to discover, after slowly counting on her fingers, that her number was 19 – far above her friends. Despite her love of sex, she made a vow to keep the number under 20 until she found Mr. Right. In the end she finds him, marries him and he becomes lucky number 20!
If someone asked you what’s your number would you be truthful, proud or embarrassed? I guess a lot depends upon your age and generation. I also wonder how fast numbers increase in today’s world. My number, like my name, will remain anonymous.
Of course, your numbers will climb faster if are a tri-sexual dabbler or in a poly-amorous relationship. I was surprised to read in Lorenzo’s blog that some women often experiment with tri-sexual adventures in the hope of luring a man for themselves and then exiting the triangle.
The Internet has opened all kinds of options for relationships beyond the standard match.com, e-harmony and others. There is a website www.partimelove.com for partners looking for “less” – a relationship that doesn’t demand too much time. Married men and women openly pursue affairs on www.ashleymadison.com. Their motto is “Life is short. Have an affair.” Soon it will be easy to get lucky in the air! There will be a new app, www.wingman.com, where passengers exchange photos and flight numbers by phone to see if anyone on board stimulates their hormones!
Given all of the above, Lorenzo’s theory of the BGL, Brain Genital Law, makes a lot of sense. At first for me it was a bit of a tongue twister. I, subconsciously or not, twisted it into a new word Bragina. My definition of Bragina is a woman’s brain sending signals to her vagina where many a debate rages over decisions like, “Oh yes, yes or no, or maybe or not in a million years!”
From the male point of view, picture the famous Seinfeld episode where Jerry’s cartoon brain sits on one shoulder and his cartoon penis on the other battling to determine who will win the argument about whether to bed with a buxom sexy actress or send her home. She had a great body but was also a dingbat with an annoying nasal whiny voice. The brain won the argument which as soon regretted by lonely Jerry’s shrinking penis.
Back to the Bragina: Valentine’s Day is around the corner. That means there will be many women hoping for roses, chocolates, champagne, caviar, sparkling jewelry and a romantic evening, perhaps with a happy ending. There will also, most certainly, be many Bragina debates about what’s for dessert! Coffee, tea or me?
What would Cupid think- the god of desire and erotic love and son of the love goddess Venus? When I googled Cupid, I was directed to www.cupid.com – another site for digital romance hit by the chubby cherub’s arrow!
My Bragina is nostalgic for the romance of days gone by. And so, I am hoping for a little love and romance on the ground, not in the air, without the help of the Internet. Wish me luck!
In a recent post, I raised the possibility that the frenulum is the male G-spot. It’s located at the base of the penis where the back part of the glans or head meets the shaft. Then I remembered what G had to say about women when I interviewed him in the book, The Man Who Made Love to More Women than Casanova. G, who bedded with about 300 women, claims that there is no specific female G-spot. In the book, here’s what he had to say about it, the clitoris and the vagina:
“Regarding what stimulates the clitoris the most, I have no general formula for it can vary, even during the same sexual encounter.”
“Now let me state the obvious, for it’s important that I do so: the clitoris has a top, bottom and two sides, and each can have its own sensitivities at a point in time during the sexual act, and can respond differently to a specific type of stimulation. For example, you can start with the tongue, moving the clitoris from side to side or actually sucking the entire vulva area, including the clitoris. I have found the latter more effective, but it depends on the art of how you do it. Then you place your finger on the bottom or top of the clitoris and gently flip it up or down or enter the vagina and press your penis against it, holding it still for a while. But, to repeat, you’re also doing other things when you can, such as inflicting pain to the nipples or whispering in the ear opening the doors to her fantasies.”
“If you’re referring to an insensitive clitoris, they are around. Though I do this to most women when I enter the vagina, I do it more with the insensitive ladies. I enter, lift the penis and firmly press against the clitoris- and I don’t move for at least a minute. Of course, I’m doing other things at the same time. Then I stroke very, very slowly. This usually works.”
“… I’ve often wondered about the vaginal orgasm. If it’s there, how the hell does one by pass the clitoris and isolate the vagina? When you’re stroking away, you’re in contact with both the clitoris and vagina; plus, you’re doing other things. But I’ll make a couple of observations that support the vagina G-spot or spots. When you’re performing cunnilingus, sometimes women are really aroused but can’t quite come to climax. If you continue with that but then insert two fingers or a dildo into the vaginal canal and pump away, they almost always have orgasms. Also, I’ve come across women who- no matter what you do in addition to stimulating the clitoris- don’t reach climax until you insert the penis and stroke away.”
Though G never mentioned it, my reading of the above is that the female G-spot is the frenulum, Frenulum clitoridis!
It’s, like the male frenulum, loaded with sensitive nerves and located right under and smack against the clitoris. So when G was manipulating the clitoris, because of its location, he was also stimulating the frenulum. When he came upon an insensitive clitoris, he inserted and lifted his penis which pressed against the frenulum. And it worked! And when he spoke about a women who was sensitive to clitoral stimulation but could not come to climax unless her inserted his penis or a dildo, he concluded that there is a vaginal G-spot when, in fact, he actually stimulated the frenulum.
As in a criminal case, we are dealing here not with definite proof but circumstantial evidence. Without doubt, at this point the evidence is weak but not weak enough to exclude further pursuit of the case. In the meantime, let’s not forget the moisturized Vaseline!